My Theory on Why Animation Cels From This Show Are Hard To Find.

The epic 65-episode animated series that aired from 1987 - 1988!
sonichacker

My Theory on Why Animation Cels From This Show Are Hard To Find.

Post by sonichacker » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:24 pm

Note: This post is NOT fact, this is simply my own theory

So as some people may know animation cels from The Adventures of Teddy Ruxpin are rare to find, especially in good condition, often the cels of this show are stuck together due to mistreatment.

And intentional mistreatment could be why they are very rare to find, according to this video at 8:15 .
Many of DIC's old animation cels were shredded when the CEO of DIC brought many of his shows back from Disney. I have my own feeling that the Teddy Ruxpin cels were caught in the crossfire of this, I could be wrong but it is one of the only theories I can think makes sense as to why they are hard to come by and often in bad condition, we know sometimes that they even had to be taken out of dumpsters due to what some collectors have said which can add to my claim that they were mistreated.

If anyone knows the real reason for why these cels are hard to come by please leave a comment, cels from this show are something I'm sure many collectors would want including myself but they aren't easy to come across.
I like Teddy Ruxpin and I like fourms so why not be here.
Other profile links coming soon.
Join my Discord Server: https://discord.gg/U224hCb

CassiaIlliper

Re: My Theory on Why Animation Cels From This Show Are Hard To Find.

Post by CassiaIlliper » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:19 pm

That's an interesting insight. I believe Teddy Ruxpin was a mixed bag with some of the animation being done in Canada at Atkinson Film-Arts, and DIC Animation City along with outsourced tweening and keys by a Japanese studio (I suspect it was Tokyo Movie Shinsha the same company that DiC used to do some work on their other production "The Littles"). Since the material was spread out, it's possible that some of the cels are simply not available because they are/were destroyed after the production ceased, or lost. Both DIC and Atkinson are no longer in business. I'm not sure what Japanese studio was used, but you can tell some of the animation in the action scenes were done in an anime style by the expressions and how fluid the animation is.
Freelance artist and author. Some may also call me a professor. ;)
Full time wife, parent, historical nut, child of the 80's (the nice part), and Paladin.
"At your Service."

sonichacker

Post by sonichacker » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:26 pm

CassiaIlliper wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:19 pm That's an interesting insight. I believe Teddy Ruxpin was a mixed bag with some of the animation being done in Canada at Atkinson Film-Arts, and DIC Animation City along with outsourced tweening and keys by a Japanese studio (I suspect it was Tokyo Movie Shinsha the same company that DiC used to do some work on their other production "The Littles"). Since the material was spread out, it's possible that some of the cels are simply not available because they are/were destroyed after the production ceased, or lost. Both DIC and Atkinson are no longer in business. I'm not sure what Japanese studio was used, but you can tell some of the animation in the action scenes were done in an anime style by the expressions and how fluid the animation is.
I think companies like DIC got the animation cels from the outsourced productions anyway, as often cels have the DIC certificate on it. I have noticed a anime like style while watching the remaster however I think this is because the animation director (I'm assuming atleast) is Japanese, while all the other names listen for animation work have English sounding names.

CassiaIlliper

Post by CassiaIlliper » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:26 pm

Also I found a TON of cels here:
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... -429103367

Also every now and then you can find cels on Ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Adventures ... OSwjKddmlV~

And the prices aren't too bad. It's how I scored a cel from The Great Mouse Detective, it's the one of Basil getting up after he sat on his violin and broke it, but yeah XD. Eventually I'll find a home for it. At the moment it's in storage.

I want to add that because it was cheaper to produce the show in Canada the Canadian Film Board required that the show have at least a certain percentage of Canadian talent on it, that's why many of the voice actors are Canadian. I love it when Wooly says "sorry" and it comes out as "Soorriee" XD
Full time wife, parent, historical nut, child of the 80's (the nice part), and Paladin.
"At your Service."

sonichacker

Post by sonichacker » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:59 pm

CassiaIlliper wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:26 pm Also I found a TON of cels here:
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... -429103367

Also every now and then you can find cels on Ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Adventures ... OSwjKddmlV~

And the prices aren't too bad. It's how I scored a cel from The Great Mouse Detective, it's the one of Basil getting up after he sat on his violin and broke it, but yeah XD. Eventually I'll find a home for it. At the moment it's in storage.

I want to add that because it was cheaper to produce the show in Canada the Canadian Film Board required that the show have at least a certain percentage of Canadian talent on it, that's why many of the voice actors are Canadian. I love it when Wooly says "sorry" and it comes out as "Soorriee" XD
The issue with worthpoint is its not a active selling site, it is a Ebay Archive site, I use it sometimes to see what has been sold over the years. And the ebay cel is a pretty nice Mario 3 cel, its weird to me how Dic didn't intentionally shred the Mario 3 and World cels but they did for the Super Show?

And tbh those voice actors do a great job honestly, unless you compare side by side its actually hard to tell its someone else doing the voice compared to the books.

CassiaIlliper

Post by CassiaIlliper » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:56 pm

I agree with the voice acting the only reason why I am laughing to myself mainly is that as a kid I loved Arin's accent, but now listening to it, I can tell it's a "put on" English aristocratic accent and sometimes the voice actor who's Canadian slips into a Canadian accent so it sounds even funnier.

Same with the King who is also voiced by the same VA who does Tweeg. If you listen closely you can hear Tweeg's voice in the King.

Also Tweeg's mom is voiced by a really famous Canadian VA who did work on the show "you can't do that on television" she played the "mom" next to Les Lye (aka Quellor) who played the chef "Barfie" and the "dad", as well as the "coach". So again it's always a treat to hear the two characters together because I know the VA's had to have had a lot of fun off tape. It would have been great to hear the banter between them and some of the jokes that never made the cut.
"At your Service."