Recent Spam Attack

Get to know fans like you and make new friends!
vilicles
Site Admin

Recent Spam Attack

Post by vilicles » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:10 pm

During the afternoon of October 28, there as a large flood of spam posted by bogus accounts on the forums. The spam has been removed and all bogus accounts have been deleted.

We apologize to our users and will be working to implement anti-spam measures into the forum moving forward.

Please reach out if you have any concerns.

- "Vilicles" Vincent Conroy
Vincent Conroy
Webmaster
Grundo Gazette, LLC

"The important thing would be the people we would meet and the things we would discover along the way."

vilicles
Site Admin

Re: Recent Spam Attack

Post by vilicles » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:21 pm

Just a quick update, everyone.

To stop the spam that was spreading here, new users will now receive an email with a verification code when they create their account. They will need to click the verification link in the email before they are able to post here on the forums.

You can still read the forums without creating or verifying an account.

This affects only new users. If you already have an account, you don't need to change anything.

Thanks for your patience,

"Vilicles Vincent Conroy
Vincent Conroy
Webmaster
Grundo Gazette, LLC

"The important thing would be the people we would meet and the things we would discover along the way."

IlliopMom

Post by IlliopMom » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:16 pm

Glad we could get that resolved! :D
“It’s true, Illiops aren’t very adventurous. At least they haven’t been for many generations.”
Check out the Teddy Ruxpin Wiki!

CassiaIlliper

Post by CassiaIlliper » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:22 pm

Oh man, thanks for getting that resolved (for now)... it never ends. I just wish there was another safety net in place, but it looks like most social media outlets have the same/similar problem.
Freelance artist and author. Some may also call me a professor. ;)
Full time wife, parent, historical nut, child of the 80's (the nice part), and Paladin.
"At your Service."

vilicles
Site Admin

Post by vilicles » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:02 pm

I've never run a forum until now, and I wanted as many people as possible to have access to the forum, so I let some of the safeguards go unchecked. They're in place now and we haven't had a problem since, so I think we're in the clear until someone devises a new way to make life difficult for us.
Vincent Conroy
Webmaster
Grundo Gazette, LLC

CassiaIlliper

Post by CassiaIlliper » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:29 pm

What I've found is that forum platforms are targeted by people who create software "bots" that patrol the platform looking for any "open" forums. Once the software finds forums that are not using security measures, those are targeted and flooded with the fake accounts that basically post links to the offsite account responsible for the bot.

Also, if a user has their e-mail compromised a bot can then use that as a way to get into a forum. (At least that's what is happening on DA at the moment)
Freelance artist and author. Some may also call me a professor. ;)
Full time wife, parent, historical nut, child of the 80's (the nice part), and Paladin.
"At your Service."