Teddy Ruxpin Film in the Works (Discussion)

Get to know fans like you and make new friends!
IlliopMom

Teddy Ruxpin Film in the Works (Discussion)

Post by IlliopMom » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:23 pm

You've probably already heard the news from Vilicles' post on the main website, but I wanted to get the ball rolling on discussing the film! (https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv ... 235010310/ the link for those who haven't seen it)

What are your thoughts? Do you think this movie will be live-action/animated as they suggested? What would you like to see/not see? :D
“It’s true, Illiops aren’t very adventurous. At least they haven’t been for many generations.”
Check out the Teddy Ruxpin Wiki!

Bognostrocleetus

Re: Teddy Ruxpin Film in the Works (Discussion)

Post by Bognostrocleetus » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:08 pm

Hey! Excited here, within reason. I'll keep expectations low until we actually see something. After the Henson disappointment, I'm not getting hopes up too high.

I guess my opinion changes on this subject now and then. Sometimes I wish they'd leave it alone. It might be interesting to see a darker twist on the whole story. A total revision/reboot and a modernized story frightens me, and it makes me worry about 3D animation and I'm not ready for remade modern versions of Teddy songs. Hopefully Gimmick won't have any rap solos.
Rule 84, Subparagraph 15-A

IlliopMom

Post by IlliopMom » Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:02 pm

Bognostrocleetus wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:08 pm Hopefully Gimmick won't have any rap solos.
I sure hope not, haha :o
“It’s true, Illiops aren’t very adventurous. At least they haven’t been for many generations.”
Check out the Teddy Ruxpin Wiki!

vilicles
Site Admin

Post by vilicles » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:29 am

I'm going to be cautiously optimistic about the new movie. It's too early to tell, but it's going to depend on what form the movie takes. For example, is this a story taking place in Grundo, is a story of Teddy Ruxpin coming to our world (a la the recent "Sonic the Hedgehog"), or is it the story of the talking toy potentially "coming to life" (a la a more family-friendly "Ted")?

I could see any of these scenarios being the case, and I'm going to keep myself optimistic until we know for sure. It will likely be a year or more before we hear more.

Also -- If Gimmick wants a rap solo, I'm here for it! :D Can you imagine him trying to get his lyrics in with his stammer before the next bar? (I kid--please don't do this.)
Vincent Conroy
Webmaster
Grundo Gazette, LLC

"The important thing would be the people we would meet and the things we would discover along the way."

Gimmicks.Ideas

Post by Gimmicks.Ideas » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:51 am

Basically feel the same as many of you above do. There’s a possible chance of the film being good, considering supposedly the people behind it have love & appreciation for the characters & stories. Sadly though, that isn’t always enough for it for it to be any good… what ultimately matters is that the studio executives in charge are supportive of the directors’ vision for the film and in the end, that vision is in turn supportive of the integrity of the original stories.. and if that isn’t happening. Well.. chaos ensues.

Only time will tell with what happens.. but I’m realistically setting my bar low after the last couple poor attempts at a “Ruxpin Comeback”. IMO, it shouldn’t be rocket science to realize that in order for these to be successful, they simply have to be as close to the integrity of the original stories as possible. Otherwise.. the whole thing falls apart..

Granted, I thought the Sonic the Hedgehog movie was fairly enjoyable & respectful enough to the original source material, though it wasn’t quite what I had in mind for a movie adaptation (the ‘96 OVA Anime film is something closer to what I’d expected but more on the level of storytelling, animation, and budget that say, a Studio Ghibli movie would have). But yeah..
Ultimately I feel like the best approach for Teddy would’ve been something along the lines of the approach they were originally going for, that being the pitch for a full traditionally animated/CG hybrid movie. Though I feel today, something more along the lines of Disney’s Paperman short would be the best way to go in regards to that. (Something that captures the look & feel of the original storybook illustrations but has the fluidity of animation you’d come to expect in a theatrical animated feature)
That’s basically my 2 cents on the matter.
“Oh, I think “marvelous” inventor might be exaggerating. It would probably be sufficient to say “wonderful” inventor.” - Gimmick

vilicles
Site Admin

Post by vilicles » Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:03 pm

We don't know enough about the movie to know if it's going to be good or bad. We have no story, no characters beyond Teddy. To my knowledge, a script has not even been written yet.

Let's be. optimistic and see where it all goes!
Vincent Conroy
Webmaster
Grundo Gazette, LLC

"The important thing would be the people we would meet and the things we would discover along the way."