Characters of Grundo and their Alignments?

Get to know fans like you and make new friends!
CassiaIlliper

Characters of Grundo and their Alignments?

Post by CassiaIlliper » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:06 pm

Sooo Quick Question :?: :?: :?: :?:

What would you say the alignments are for the characters of Grundo?

Also would you say there was a universal law of Grundo or does each culture have it's own set of moral codes?

Once I leaned toward a Universal law, but now I'm starting to second guess that idea and think of more regional codes and cultural laws.

In particular, I see the Grunges as a type of Chaotic Good, they have their own codes they follow when they decide to follow them.

Whereas the Gutangs are Lawful Evil, in a sense that they have a structure to their society which enables them to be an effective fighting force

Likewise, the Illipers and Perloons are under a sort of Feudal Law that I guess is good? I'm not quite sure here. Thanks to Game of Thrones feudalism isn't as attractive or romantic as it's portrayed in fairy tales etc. I blame the Victorians for painting that age with rose tinted hues.

Same for MAVO and Quellor who seems more Lawful Evil instead of Neutral Evil. Quellor is not necessarily indifferent to the world around him, but his alignment is rather vague. However the Wizard of Ying is possibly the only true evil character in the series, in that he is purely out for his own gain with little regard to how he gets it. I would say that the Wizard of WeeGee is also neutral evil in that he too is after his own gains regardless of any sort of moral reason that may require him to be generous.

Thoughts?
Freelance artist and author. Some may also call me a professor. ;)
Full time wife, parent, historical nut, child of the 80's (the nice part), and Paladin.
"At your Service."

IlliopMom

Re: Characters of Grundo and their Alignments?

Post by IlliopMom » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:30 pm

I've always thought that the feudal structure for the Illipers and Perloons was really sort of loose, mostly an honor thing. The royals seem to value and genuinely care about the "peasant" farmers, but we just don't see enough of them to know much else. They never really seemed *unhappy*, so I suppose I would say what they've got going on is pretty good.

Also, with the population being so sparse outside of the Castle and the land around it, the rule would have to be a little loose. There aren't any lords or anything keeping up on the rural populations (that we know).
“It’s true, Illiops aren’t very adventurous. At least they haven’t been for many generations.”
Check out the Teddy Ruxpin Wiki!

CassiaIlliper

Post by CassiaIlliper » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:53 pm

Hmmm good point.

The structure of Perloon, Illiper society seems loosely based around feudalism, but because it's so small, and the population outside the castle seems scattered we don't see much, and there may not be need for much as people are pretty self-governing. However, there is fertile ground for development here with the Gutang civilization being far more military and structured it seems. I actually can see some villagers resenting the King, perhaps demanding justice for their lost harvests and so forth.

So the alignments can be tested in this case.
Full time wife, parent, historical nut, child of the 80's (the nice part), and Paladin.
"At your Service."

Wheels2410

Post by Wheels2410 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:18 pm

Personally I think each group has their own laws and rules. Particularly since most groups seem to settle in only one or two areas, with the Jungle Grunges living only in The Jungle With No Name and then the Beach Grunges living at Ben's Beach. The Mudblups stick to the Great Desert and the Mudblup Caves, while the Gutangs, unless they're raiding other areas, stick to either The Hard to Find City or M.A.V.O. Headquarters. And nobody seems to live outside of their designated areas, aside from Gimmick, Tweeg and Wooley.

CassiaIlliper

Post by CassiaIlliper » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:22 pm

That’s interesting so the alignments may differ depending on the culture the character is from.
"At your Service."

Wheels2410

Post by Wheels2410 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:30 pm

Basically. I mean the only real nomadic group is the Fobs, as they're found all over Grundo, and not just in one area, unlike species like the Woggleys and the Anythings. Even the Bounders tend to live either in Bounder Pass or at Tweeg's Tower, depending on the episode.

vilicles
Site Admin

Post by vilicles » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:32 pm

I LOVE these discussions, and I tend to agree that each peoples has their own general code they seem to live by: we even see different sects of the same species (jungle grunges vs. surf grunges, etc.)

That's why Tweeg is such an outlier: he doesn't belong to any one "tribe" as it were. And the Trio are such a mixed bag of species (Gimmick is a hermit of a different kind before Teddy comes along) that they can't really be classified, either. Though, obviously, they are lawful good.

Also, Cassia, LOVE YOUR AVATAR! :D
Vincent Conroy
Webmaster
Grundo Gazette, LLC

"The important thing would be the people we would meet and the things we would discover along the way."

IlliopMom

Post by IlliopMom » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:15 pm

Wheels2410 wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:30 pm Basically. I mean the only real nomadic group is the Fobs, as they're found all over Grundo, and not just in one area, unlike species like the Woggleys and the Anythings. Even the Bounders tend to live either in Bounder Pass or at Tweeg's Tower, depending on the episode.
The Fobs are difficult to place and I'd hesitate to call them a "nomadic group"; they're much closer to animals than other species are (they allow themselves to be kept as pets, or at least Fuzz does. We don't really know how representative of his species he is). They're sentient, but they're not really on the same level as the others.

They're a weird sort of herd, I suppose?
“It’s true, Illiops aren’t very adventurous. At least they haven’t been for many generations.”

vilicles
Site Admin

Post by vilicles » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:23 am

I agree. Fuzz is an odd case because you can look at him as kind of being a "pet", or being 'adopted" into Gimmick's family. But he seems dependent on Gimmick's caretaking of him moreso than other Fobs are (other Fobs seem wholly independent). And Fobs don't necessarily migrate because they have to stay close to the rainbow water that gives them their colors.
Vincent Conroy
Webmaster
Grundo Gazette, LLC

"The important thing would be the people we would meet and the things we would discover along the way."

IlliopMom

Post by IlliopMom » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:03 pm

vilicles wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:23 am I agree. Fuzz is an odd case because you can look at him as kind of being a "pet", or being 'adopted" into Gimmick's family. But he seems dependent on Gimmick's caretaking of him moreso than other Fobs are (other Fobs seem wholly independent). And Fobs don't necessarily migrate because they have to stay close to the rainbow water that gives them their colors.
True, they don't necessarily have to migrate, but it does make you wonder if they're only a regional variety of Fob. Maybe there are some Fobs farther away that have never been exposed to the water and don't mind it. Much to think about, lol :D